As my favourite city, I have a really special and deep connection to the Swedish capital. Please find below addresses and tips for summer and winter, as well as personal details about my two trips.
For more pictures please click here.
For more pictures please click here.
- Jumbo Hostel (www.jumbostay.com): Stay in an old jumbo air plane at Arlanda airport
- Story Hotel (www.storyhotels.com): Each room tells its own story, situated downtown
- Best Hostel Old Town (www.besthostel.se/skeppsbron): In the middle of old town this hostel is perfect for low budget
- Columbus Hotel (www.columbus.se): Nice hidden hotel in Södermalm
- Sven Vintappare (www.hotelsvenvintappare.se): Small hotel with charm in the old town
- Grand Hotel Stockholm (www.grandhotel.se): Most luxury hotel in Stockholm at the waterside
- Best Western Time Hotel (www.timehotel.se): Modern hotel in the North of Stockholm with good room offers
- Chapman & Skeppsholmen Hostel (www.svenskaturistforeningen.se): Sleeping in an old sailing boat in Stockholm's harbour
- Och Himmeln Därtill (www.restauranghimlen.se): beautiful view over the city with delicious food
- Grill (www.grill.se): Barbecue at an extravagant dinner table
- Chutney (www.chutney.se): Vegetarian restaurant in hip Södermalm
- Pontus by the Sea (www.pontusfrithiof.com): Situated at the waterside, the restaurant presents high quality sea food
- Systrarnas Lundbergs (www.systrarnaslundberg.se): Fancy restaurant in Norrmalm where young locals meet
- Pelikan (www.pelikan.se): Typical Swedish food in Södermalm
- Kvarnen (www.kvarnen.se): Typical Swedish food in Södermalm
- Restaurang Solliden (www.skansen.se): Biological ingredients are here used at the restaurant in Skansen park
- Volt: If you are up for some extraordinary food, Volt is your place to be - from lacto-ovo vegetarian dishes to a dessert composition of fennel, plums and cream.
- Frantzén Lindberg: Not only the internet presence is stunning, their food treatment is pretty much the same and therefore a little more costly.
- AG Restaurang: Meat is called their specialty. But also vegetarians will find some nice dishes located in a former butcher's shop. Nothing for the fainthearted!
Bars & Nightlife
- Café String (www.cafestring.com): New bands playing in a cosy atmosphere
- Absolute Ice Bar (www.absoluteicebar.com): Icy party
- Fasching’s Club (www.fasching.se): Famous jazz bar
- Pet Sounds Bar (www.petsoundsbar.se): DJs play different styles each night
- Moseback Etablissement (www.mosebacke.se): only open in Summer the bar presents an amazing view over the city
- The Cookbook Café(www.thecookbookcafe.com): Enjoying coffee surrounded by books
- Fafangan(www.fafangan.se): While eating delicious cake creations, the view about Stockholm and the waterside is stunning
- Mellqvist Kaffebar(Röstrandsgatan 4): Famous for the place where "The girl with the dragon tattoo" was written
- Muffin Bakery(www.muffinbakery.se): Several locations offer typical American pastries and top coffee for free
- Flickorna HelinVoltaire(www.helinvoltaire.com): Romantic cafe in the Djurgarden park
- Saturnus(Eriksbergsgatan 6): Best "Kanelbulle" (cinnamon roll) in Stockholm
- Gilda(Skanegatan 79): Crazy and colourful cafe in Södermalm's Skanegatan
- Plagg und Pjucken (www.plagg.se): Department store with stylish young labels
- Coctail (www.coctail.nu): It sells everything useless in all colours
- Svenskt Tenn(www.svenskttenn.se): Swedish design in a modern store at Strandvägen
- Acne(www.acnestudios.com): The Swedish jeans must-have
- Tjallamalla(www.tjallamalla.com): Women's clothes from chic to fancy
- Kocksgatan 17(www.kocksgatan17.se): Men's wear in a stylish store
- Department stores in the city: NK, Gallerian, Ahlens City, PUB
- Urban Outfitters (Biblioteksgatan 5): Normal retail store but located in an old cinema, worth to have a look at
- Skanegatan: Street in Södermalm where locals meet, flirt, go out, ...
- Skärs: More than 200 little island can be found in front of Stockholm, book your tour
- Skansen: Learn about Swedish culture and animals while feeding elks or visiting Lappland houses
- Djurgardensfärjan: Not only the best way from old town to Djurgarden, but also a 20 minute trip on the water
- Gamla Stan: Old town with small souvenir shops and narrow streets ready to explore
- Södermalm (Farfangan & Lilla Skinnarviksgränd): Södermalm has its own charm and here is where people hang out after 6 PM. Don't miss the two scenic stunning view points
- Vasa Museet: Interesting museum with a lot of interaction so that you never get bored
- Kungliga Slottet & Slottet Drottningholm: Being still reigned by a king and queen, the castles are the Swedish sanctuaries
- Strandvägen: Go for a walk along chic boutiques while enjoying the view on the water
- Try the Päron Cider. It is about a beverage like wine but made out of pears.
- Visiting dates: March 2010, July 2011
- Accommodation: The Best Western Time Hotel, Best Hostel Old Town
- Highlight: Sunset at Lilla Skinnarviksgränd with some Päron Cider